Current:Home > ScamsNext ‘Mission: Impossible’ delayed a year as actors strike drags on -Capitatum
Next ‘Mission: Impossible’ delayed a year as actors strike drags on
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 15:03:06
NEW YORK (AP) — The eighth installment of the “Mission: Impossible” franchise has been postponed a year, signaling a new wave of release schedule juggling for Hollywood studios as the actors strike surpasses three months of work stoppage.
Paramount Pictures on Monday shifted the release date of “Dead Reckoning — Part Two” from June 28 to May 23, 2025. Production on the second part of Christopher McQuarrie’s “Dead Reckoning” was paused in July while Tom Cruise and company embarked on an international promotion blitz for “Part One.”
That film ultimately grossed $567.5 million worldwide, falling shy of 2018 installment “Fallout” ($791.7 million globally) and the heady highs of Cruise’s summer 2022 blockbuster “Top Gun: Maverick” ($1.5 billion). The 163-minute-long action thriller, drew some of the best reviews of the 27-year-old movie franchise, but was quickly eclipsed by the box-office juggernauts of “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer.”
As Hollywood’s labor turmoil has continued, it’s increasingly upended release plans not just for movies this fall that want to wait until their stars can promote them ( like “Dune: Part Two,” postponed to March), but some of next year’s top big-screen attractions.
A string of Marvel movies have previously shifted back, as did the third “Venom” film. “Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse,” has been delayed indefinitely after being dated for March 2024.
Paramount also announced Monday that “A Quiet Place: Day One,” a prequel to the post-apocalyptic horror series starring Lupita Nyong’o, will have its release pushed from March to when “Dead Reckoning” had been scheduled to open, on June 28.
Negotiations between the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists and the studios are scheduled to resume Tuesday.
veryGood! (9147)
Related
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Frankie Valli addresses viral Four Seasons performance videos, concerns about health
- Officials warned electric vehicles can catch fire in Helene flooding: What to know
- Let All Naysayers Know: Jalen Milroe silences critics questioning quarterback ability
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Woman who lost husband and son uses probate process to obtain gunman’s records
- California governor signs law banning college legacy and donor admissions
- How social media is helping locate the missing after Helene | The Excerpt
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Details from New Mexico’s lawsuit against Snap show site failed to act on reports of sextortion
Ranking
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Son treks 11 miles through Hurricane Helene devastation to check on North Carolina parents
- Lana Del Rey’s Wedding Dress Designer Details Gown She Wore for Ceremony
- Powerball winning numbers for September 30: Jackpot rises to $258 million
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Kristin Cavallari Says Custody Arrangement With Ex Jay Cutler Has Changed
- Opinion: Chappell Roan doesn't owe you an explanation for her non-endorsement of Harris
- Is the food in the fridge still good? California wants to end the guessing game
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Catholic hospital in California illegally denied emergency abortion, state attorney general says
Dartmouth College naming center in memory of football coach Teevens
As heat rises, California kids are sweltering in schools with no air conditioning
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
John Amos, Star of Good Times and Roots, Dead at 84
Officials identify driver who crashed into a Texas pipeline and sparked a 4-day fire
Nearly $32 million awarded for a large-scale solar project in Arkansas